Saturday, July 28, 2007

I love Science!



Since young, I love science.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When I was a kid, I don't play barbie dolls or masak-masak like other children. Neither catching-catching nor hide-and-seek too. Not that am abnormal, wait, okay, I'm unique.

When I was 5 years old, mom enrolled me into a Chinese kindergarten hoping that I could read and write a little bit of Chinese. I disliked learning Chinese, I don't know why but I just dislike it. In less than 2 weeks, I dropped out quitted. I even bit my teacher's arm when she grabbed me so tightly while asking my mom to drive off quickly every morning. Yes, I literally bit her arm and ran back to the car. From then on, am unschooled. I don't know any ABCs or 123s. Prolly I was the stupidest person of my age.

So, I loitered for another year at grandma's place, under her care. I have nothing to do, so I'll just lie down on the sofa and laze around. I remembered watching grandma switching on the ceiling fan for me.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And am amazed. It got me thinking.

"Grandma just press the switch, and the ceiling fan starts to turn. How can this happen? What makes it happen?"

So, I started checking what connects the switch to the fan. And I realise, there's a cable that connects both the main switch with the fan. And grandma mentioned that fan cannot be switched on when the power supply is cut off. Meaning, there is something called "current" that moves via the cable from the switch to the fan? And guess what? I was just 5 years old at that time. Thinking a little too deep huh? I find it freaky, now.

Mom finally found an English kindergarten. I like it there! Finally, I learned how to read, from scratch. I was already 6 years old; the final year before I stepped into primary school. I was placed in the last class (Pre-school 4), of course. I love English. I learned well, and thank God, in less than 2 months I was already the top reader in the class. My teacher had to leave for Makkah halfway through, so the students in my class were streamed. I was streamed into the first class and graduated there. So, thank God am no more the stupidest, prolly the second. =P

During my lower primary school days, I usually follow grandma for "walking" sessions around the neighbourhood in Teluk Pulai. There was once when I found bird feathers on the ground. I'm amazed by it. And idea came to me again.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I cleaned those feathers, and I insert my broken pencil lead tip through the hollow end of the feather and making it my feather-pencil. I always watch olden days people writing with feathers (in televisions) thus, I also want the same. That was the start of my innovation ideas.

In standard 4, we were taught about electricity and the conduction of electricity. A simple electric diagram was taught by connecting wires to batteries to the light bulb. I received a revelation there.

I was not tall enough to switch on the lights in my room at that time, thus making it difficult for me to find stuff at night. So, I designed this instead.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My head-lamp

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's consist of a bulb, bulb holder, switch, battery, battery holder and wires only.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And it works! It shines at night, when I switch it on.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mun Sheung with the head-lamp

I was just standard 4 back then! Mun Sheung (pictured above) is currently standard 5. Our size and height were similar, so, yours truly was about there?

I love innovating unused stuffs. Mainly from recycling unused items, modifying them to be a brand new useful stuff. For example,

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
a watering can!

You will be amazed on how an empty-unwanted-Milo can could do to your plants. They can help to carry water, watering the plants. During standard 4, every class was assigned a kebun (yard) to plant vegetables. I was put in-charged for this by my class teacher, Pn Giam. And I came out with this milo can thingy, sticking something to the front end as the head, with the help of some nails and screws; they worked!

Also, Hydroponic Garden was an "in" thing at that time! Every family wants to have a set of it! My family was exceptional though. Somehow, revelation came to me and I designed a mini hydroponic garden using these..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

along with polystyrene as it's cover. It looks exactly the same, just like a miniature version of the real one. This design was placed in the Pameran Sains (Science Exhibition) as a creative innovation.

But mom calls all these junk anyway. Guess I was a little too nonsense when I was younger.

I have a secret, I wanted to be the first person to step on planet Pluto last time. I vowed that I would be the first scientist to invent my transport there. But it's sad that that it will NOT come true. Anyway, Pluto is not even a planet anymore. Sigh.

---

Nevertheless, I still love science!

I'm never disgusted seeing these. Any internal organs is nothing for me, I'm sure for you too. You can see them heaps in Grey's Anatomy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Left eye ball

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Uterus/Womb

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

blood is never an issue. But, no amputated limbs for me please! It's gross. Can't take it for the moment.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Trained for CPR. Competent!

During my first year in Monash University, we were allowed to play with toads and mice.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Yours truly at work, dissecting with aid of pretty girls

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The cut-opened toad, the membrane.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now that you know which is the heart, take a look at the following video. The heart still beats!
Reminder: The toad is already dead



We were learning about the nervous system, and you know how muscle twitches when a certain nerve is stimulated, right? Oddly, toads' nervous system could still respond eventhough they are dead up for 2 hours. And here, I stimulated it. Pay close attention to the jaw part of the toad to see the muscle response.

Hint: Muscle twitched during flash lights, because my friends were taking photo of it with flash on!



Wonderful right? God's wise creation.

Next, we also played with mouse. White mice.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Descendants of Stuart Little

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We crucified him. We prayed before we started dissecting him. What a worthy death!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
His internal anatomy. Cool huh?

By the way, he's really smelly when it's cut-opened. Because of the big intestine.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I brought mask (curi-ed from Mun Sheung, that time got haze ma), thanks to the advanced information by Elaine, my (pretty) lab demo ^^.

EDIT:

Forgot to include this picture that I've uploaded. Very important!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Pik yi with the naked mouse; Sheena and Li Hua with the skin!

My friends, other group literally DESKINNED the poor mouse!!

Right, if XiaXue ever happen to come across this blog post, she'll prolly nominate me as one of the most disgusting blogger. Right..

So, after all these I could boldly conclude that..

MUN K LOVES SCIENCE.. definitely NOT the lab reporting part.
Urgh~ Talking bout it, have to get back to my reports now.

I thank God I'm not in any other faculties like Business. I'm not very good in science but I know I'm lousier in others.. So, if I take them...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

you'd need to visit me there.

Signing OFF,

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
future Medical Scientist wanna-be

Note:

Xue Wen said I looked like a guy in this picture, an annoying one.
Yoong Kang says I looked like a long-haired leng zhai; but not his style of gay partner. He prefer short hair with built-body.
When Joeanne first saw this, her first sentence was "bergaya!" -_-"

Do you think that I'm annoying too? Ahh I'm such a paranoia!

9 comments:

nilimpa said...

Lol.. I'm quite the opposite. When I was growing up I didn't like science. Well, I was for a short period -- that was when I was 8 or so. But later I preferred reading comics, drawing comics, music, and being an ass in general.

I still wonder what happened.

Anonymous said...

happy tht u find sth u really like to do... not many ppl like watever they r doing.. go mun k!

Anne said...

HAHA!cruxifiction of the mouse tsk tsk. And yess!they do stink even before u cut them open-.- and the toad hahah..that time i cut all the blood come out-.- i think i'll make a terrible surgeon lol. i love science too! (except lab reports..too.) =P

Friend of God said...

wow..sounds like we have a new expert liao...
stay blessed

aehknum said...

nilimpa,
Quite oppposite? I know!! You have always been, in a good way! =) You're more to the humanities' side and you're VERY talented! Btw, have you started composing songs? I'm sure you did! Would love to hear them one day..
Like that day, Baskin Robbin with me in JJ, you actually ONLY intended to shop for cds and books? Goshhh~ I'm the totally opposite of you. LOL. Prolly I should learn more from you. So, thanks "sifu"!

mayc,
Thanks!!
I'm sure you'll make a greater architect! It's seriously great knowing you more, through blog. It's funny that I don't talk much to you back in school (because I was the ganas and bising one in school?) and don't fellowship as much tho' we stay so near each other. Nevertheless, you made a good companion during mamak sessions! You're creative and you'll make a good architect! An excellent one!!

li anne,
Err, the rat that I cut has no smell UNTIL I cut them open.. when their intestines were revealed.. OHHH MANNNN!!!
Stinks like mad!
To think bout it, human has the same anatomy like the mouse but human eats ALL KIND OF FOOD!
Gosh~~
Now, I kesiankan the surgeons that are forced to open us up, to fix our body. I understand how they feel. Yucks~ At least 20x worse than the rat's.
Coz rats only eat.. cheese? I supposed the rats in Malaysia not so bahagia.. no cheese, they only eat plastic tupperwares! LOL.

friend of god,
New expert? Haha! Nahh.. FARRRR FROM THAT! I thank God for the revelations and what I've learnt so far. Also thanking Him for what He has in stored for me, the GREAT plans and future ahead of me. I'm blessed by you, always!

Anonymous said...

oh man, the rat is quite cute. too bad it had a horrible death.

aehknum said...

su ann!!!

the rat is not just "quite" cute, its cute! ahaha. If I say its definitely cuter than me, I guess everyone would nod their head vigorously.

And like I've said, it was a WORTHY death okay!! NOT HORRIBLE. Ish Ish!!

Haha!

Just Pass By said...

I can't see your pics... :'(

aehknum said...

Hello Just Pass By!

Sorry bout that earlier on heh! Anyway, pictures are up! Enjoy! (: