Monday, July 30, 2007

God vs Scientists

MbrLike I've mentioned in the previous post, I love science.

I wasn't born in a Christian family and I only accepted Him in Dec 2001. That's like, almost 6 years now?

Before that, I never believed the existence of God.. just like other scientists (tho' I wasn't and still not a scientist YET). I always doubt and ask questions like... the existence of dinosaurs and whatnot, which was not mentioned in the bible. I haven't read the name "T-rex" in the bible, all I hear is cattle, cow etc. God mentioned bout how He created the earth, the world.. but He forgot to mention other planets in the bible?

To me, "proof" is everything. They explain everything. Just like in a court, a suspect is innocent until they are proven guilty. I want to see it, then I'll believe it. That's not faith. Because faith is something that you believe although you couldn't see it. I can't see God, thus I don't believe. That was last time. Now it's a different story altogether. I can don't believe anything and anyone BUT GOD! He's my best friend!

If any of you know me since young, I DON'T STUDY BEFORE EXAMS. Well, this statement only valid till primary school and prolly lower secondary.

To me, the definition of exam is "Testing the level of your knowledge, till which level you have understood".

Because if I study before exam, the results will be considered as bias already, since I studied for it. Reminder: that was for primary school. Even if I study now, that doesn't guarantee a pass. What a contradiction.

My whole family weren't believers back then. I remember mom would make us kneel down in front of the Chinese altar and the same prayer would be uttered, "God, keep me healthy and help me to grow" (something like that, translated from Canto). Well, it didn't work. I often fall sick and I'm still SHORT!

I was exposed to Christianity when I was in standard 6, aunt Jessica will bring my sister and I to the children's rally in Grace Church, Klang every month I think.

There was once, I secretly uttered this prayer, "Jesus, if you are the real and true God that the people here proclaims, show me yourself. Let me be in the first position in my class".

And true enough, I got the first placing in my class. (Reminder: I don't study in primary school) I didn't believe it straight away. I asked for confirmations and time after time, God is always faithful with me and He answers ALL my prayers. God is good!

---

There was once, when this conversation took place in Heaven between a scientist and God.

Scientist: Lord, we don't need You anymore. Science has finally figured out a way to create life out of nothing. In other words, we can now do what you did in the "beginning"

God: Oh, is that so? Tell me..

Scientist: Well, we can take dirt and form it into the likeness of You and breathe life into it, thus creating man.

God: Well, that's interesting. Show Me.

So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil. God interrupted..

God: Oh no, no, no... Get your OWN earth.

---

That was a good one from God! LOL. We still need God.

Well, many time we all tend to play God. Most scientists do. They would come out with theories that go against what's preached in the bible to show that God doesn't exist or so.

But I personally believe that God do exist and we learn science to help to upgrade the quality of living; to explain what God has done and not to create life. For example, the more I learn the molecular genetics, the physiology, the human health anatomy; all I could do is to stand in awe of God's marvelous creation.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Taken in Port Dickson by Yuan Ding (Sept 2006)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Taken in Penang (May 2007)

God, I stand in awe of You.


Lastly, would love leave you readers with these 2 questions that my brother once asked me. I have already told him the answer, but I would love to hear from you. Drop the answers at the comment box please.

Questions:

1) Darwinist believes that evolution has taken place by natural selection. The theory said that from our DNA and fossils, our forefathers/closest relative is of Chimpanzee (I think). So, are we descendents of that? But in the bible, it says that Adam is the first man God created (he's not a chimp or anything). So, who is our real forefather?

2) Explain the existence of dinosaurs which was not mentioned in the bible; whose fossils were found at the seabed.

I'll leave you with an article (Click here to read) hoping that you will not be misled while in search of the answers. I believe the bible is the answer to everything. Pray for revelation from God as He reveal the answers to you.

Be blessed and enjoy.

Till then, signing OFF


6 comments:

Josiah said...

Does evolution really contradict the bible and God's plan?

Apart from human life, Darwin's theories do provide a good explanation for the changes that takes place in plant and animal life. Natural selection and evolution can explain how life on earth became more diverse with time.

Also, we aren't able to create life out of nothing yet. The difference between the simplest virus and the most complex organic molecule we can synthesize is still huge.
We also cant explain how complex organic molecules can form life on their own.

I think that life arose on our planet because it is unique. Our planet has just the right mass and gravitational pull to hold water-vapour in its atmosphere. Our planet's orbit round our sun exposes us to just the right amount of sunlight.

Our planet is suitable for life also because of its solar system. The gas giants like jupiter deflect the majority of asteroids and greatly reduce the frequency of meteor impacts that would hinder the development of life on earth. Our moon is also abnormally large, many astrophysicists say that the moon helps to regulate earth's orbit and prevent it from being disrupted by the larger planets.

Earth's tectonic activities are also a key for the development and sustainence of life on earth. Volcanoes help to replenish carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that would otherwise sink and accumulate in oceans.

So much for the origin of life...

When I was a kid, I sought God by trying to find out where the universe came from. Developed my scientific skills from that.

nilimpa said...

While I'd love to weigh in my two cents, the truth is that the existence of God and the validity of Christianity have both been debated ad nauseam by people much more intelligent than you and me combined -- to the point that I feel that there isn't much left that hasn't been argued or debated.

Perhaps a few years ago I would, but I -REALLY- have no heart for a debate anymore.

So I won't comment on my personal beliefs, but would much rather like to comment on the website you linked to. Frankly speaking, a site called "TrueAuthority" but starts its article with a sentence like "It's what every Darwinist loves to profess" isn't indicative of a reliable and unbiased source of information worthy of much attention.

I mean, "Hey look, it's a Christian website! I wonder what they think about evolution!"

(Just in case: Yes, I know it's not a Christian website per se, but it should be obvious from their articles where their beliefs lie.)

Human nature is odd sometimes -- people only listen to what they want to hear.

Note: My problem is actually only with the website itself and not with anything else. And I'm sure you're not practising blind faith. =)

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

you might wanna try reading "The case for faith" by Lee Strobel. He tackles a bit of evolution by interviewing several parties. So its not bias. Pretty convincing too.
;)

aehknum said...

Josiah,

Thanks for dropping by and the comment! Everything you've said, they are so true and I've thought of them all. And many scientists still could not explain. That is why, I stand in awe of Him =)

Btw, I'm a little curious bout how you come about this post in this blog. Hehe. Mind sharing? Glad to hear from you, be blessed!



nilimpa,

Thanks for pointing that out, Yoong Kang. I was looking for a word actually and I came across this article. As a tertiary student, you should know that not all websites are reliable as most are just secondary sources? I personally hadn't read that article yet and I have no idea if it's a Christian article or not. I'm sorry if I accidentally added the "biasness" to the reading by adding the url.

Btw, try reading "The Case For Faith" written by Lee Strobel as introduced by Emmerie. He was an atheist and I heard he was opposing all the Christianity work etc. He added some parts to his findings bout "human evolution" too and he isn't bias. Should be a good read =)

Be blessed!



Emmerie,

you have been a great blessing!! Thanks SO much. Do continue to share with us okay? Don't just keep them to yourself! =P

Hugs

nilimpa said...

munkhea: Yea, sadly the internet is such a place. That is why you should turn on your BS detector sometimes when you browse websites. The best course of action, I feel, is to look at many sources, consider the evidence and arguments presented, and decide for yourself.

Pretty much all I'm saying is that there are two sides to a coin.

Basically my beef with the article you linked to is due to the fact that the writer presented quotes from a few scientific authorities and tried to pass them off as fact. They're only opinions.

As for the book, I'm skeptical -- the same way I'm skeptical about the book "The God Delusion" (written by a well-known evolutionary scientist, Richard Dawkins). But I would see if I can get hold of it. Thanks for the recommendation. =)

Anonymous said...

I heard "God delusion' was pathetic. Anyway, "The case for faith" is especially for sceptics. You'll see how the way they argue and it all point towards a creator.
I'll quote this from the book anyway.
" Only a rookie who know nothing about science would say science takes away from faith.If you really study science it will bring you closer to God"