Friday, April 18, 2008

Mickey.


coughamycough


Today in Pharmaco lab, we had hands-on studies about the effects of certain drugs on inflammation.

I thought it was quite cool.

Each group was provided 3 white mice. One as control, one was treated with paracetamol (same effect as Panadol) and another treated with a drug known as Indomethacin (a type of anti-histamine).

Photobucket

Notice the mouse pointed with arrow? That mouse was treated with Indomethacin and guess the dosage was a little too high. He seems inactive, do nothing and just lie down quietly throughout
the practical.

Photobucket

We literally injected 0.1mL of egg albumin (an allergen that causes inflammation) into the left foot of every mouse

Photobucket

And then we measure the diameter of the mouse's left foot every hour to see the effect -- how each drug helps to lessen the inflammation.

For example, to see the effect of paracetamol (Panadol) in reducing our inflammation (fever or other pain).

Theoretically, the control mouse's left foot would swell while other mouse's foot would swell (inflame) but the swelling would decrease with time. However, the mouse treated with Indothemacin (mouse with pointed arrow above) passed away after an hour (and Amelia thought its cute and funny. Ugh) due to overdose of drug.

Take home message -- Please take your drugs (painkiller) when you're in pain and they will help to decrease it but please don't overdose yourself. Consult your pharmacist or medical officer before any drugs consumption okay =)

Photobucket
Oh-so-adorable!

Rest in peace, friend. Your contribution was much appreciated.

Edit: Crap, why am I completing my lab report here.

15 comments:

kienz said...

Poor mice.. haha, but I gotta admit, they look damn cool, beats mickey anytime ok, I hate mickey -_-

aehknum said...

=O Why do you hate mickey?

I seriously like that last shot. I think this shot is not bad considering that I'm just using a camera phone, and not a real digicam.

Anonymous said...

*sits and waits patiently for Year 3*

*stares at last pic*

*melts*

aehknum said...

Just one more year. You'll be there in no time =)

yinkheay said...

awww.. so cute la the mice! i wanna rear one =P

aehknum said...

Haha! Super adorable right!!!! omg omg

Anonymous said...

Oh shoot someone hates Mickey.

And I don't think it's funny anymore. Damn cute. :( (But actually, it was kind of funny initially.)

-Amelia.

aehknum said...

I don't get it when you said it was funny. You were the first (and only person) I messaged when I found out bout Mickey's tragic death and as an animal lover (I thought you were), I expected you to mourn with me or at least be surprise with that message. But it turns out to be... some humour? =(

But it's SO cute right?? Just look at the picture now and imagine yourself doing that "bang bang" trick with him =)

Anonymous said...

I am still an animal lover. I just...found that funny lah somehow. And I like the nose. It's very cute.

-Amelia.

VonsteriZed BadaQ said...

so cute ler the mice...

Anonymous said...

white mice kinda reminds me of pinky from pinky and the brain. hehe.. RIP all white mice (and other animals) sacrificed for humankind.

aehknum said...

Amelia - I like the whiskers. Haha!

aehknum said...

vonsteriZed BadaQ -- Yeah!! So cute right?? The last picture's my lappy's wallpaper now =P

aehknum said...

mayc -- Big sacrifice right? Let's pray! *silence*

celotehrifa said...

fresh egg albumin? doesn't need to be dissolved in saline?