Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Luciferase

Back in highschool, I was taught that a word that ends with -ase are usually enzymes, where they are used to catalyze (speed up or slow down) a reaction.

Usually the enzyme bears the name of the substrate they catalyze by adding an -ase at the back of it.

For example, maltase catalyzes maltose while sucrase catalyzes sucrose.

Today, I learnt a new enzyme. It's called luciferase. I wonder if it catalyzes Lucifer?

---

Biblically, Lucifer is the fallen angel (satan) cast out of heaven. Isaiah 14:12

Meanwhile, luciferase is actually the enzyme responsible to incorporate the luminescence gene to express the luminescence (glowing) properties. For example, fireflies and jelly fish.

Learned something?

Be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definately not. Otherwise he would be Luciferose ;) hahhah! (dont mind me)

nilimpa said...

Lucifer is also the Latin word for "light-bringer". That's probably why that name was chosen. Haha.

aehknum said...

Emmerie,

Of course I don't mind la! Lawl. You are right man! Luciferose!

nilimpa,

Yea, I know bout that. This post is just a random one.

That's what Lucifer meant actually, as his name suggest he was the "bright shining star" and now he's known as the fallen star. And its a latin name for "light-bringer" and thus, the luminescence property =)

You did some homework eh? =D

nilimpa said...

Lol no la. I tried learning a bit of Latin. But failed horribly.

aehknum said...

Learn latin?

Whoa! Gaya weyy!! Haha! If I'm asked to learn a foreign language, I think I'll wanna learn Greek or Hebrew =P

Anonymous said...

now THIS is scary. My lecture today touched on luciferase! X)

aehknum said...

awwwwwwwww~

but good what, at least you edi know abit of luciferase' background (luciferase could be an enzyme to catalyze lucifer) when he teach you =P

See, so good! You get to learn something from this blog post for the 1st time =)