Friday, January 23, 2009

Something Bout Jogs.



Today, I met my senior, Suet Leng during our usual jog sessions. Man, I haven't met her since she left secondary school and she's still so much taller than me! More than one head! I bet she's a six-footer now! And when I had to look up so high just to talk to her, and guess what she said?

"Don't worry, you can still grow. Take me as your benchmark"

Grow horizontally it is! No more verticals for me edi la, so sad!

If you've read this post of mine before, I mentioned that its an official thing that I cannot grow anymore. So yeah, I've to face the reality boohoo!

I bet she isn't aware of my age. You know, one thing about seniors are that their impression of you stays put with the year they last meet you. Unless you're still in touch with them. For example, Yee Pam still thinks that I'm form 3 now and she insisted that I'm still underage for 18pl movies or to go clubbing. I've grown and I'm no longer the small kid that you all though that oI am.

--

Talking bout jogs, have you wondered why one feels a sharp pain on the muscle just right below the ribs when you haven't jogged for a while? That's definitely not an appendicitis I assure you! That's just to show that you're not fit. Its basically spasms of your muscles because of the lack of oxygen. If you suffer from this, you may want to adjust your breathing mechanism a little? It's also known as stitch, so yeah you can google bout it if you want to know more.

And another common jog annoyance is the itch on your thigh up to your gluteus maximus (yes, whayying, the butt muscle). This 'itch' is caused by the blood circulation. As you all know, all these endurance exercises require a lot of energy, and all these energy can be harvested by the respiration (C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy).

That also means we need alot of oxygen as well to get more energy. Because of this, our arteries and blood capillaries kept expanding and contracting in repeated mode to allow more blood flow. And yes, this repeated expansion and contraction actually delivers signal to our brain and somehow our brain interprets it as itch.

Keep your jogging sessions more regular will do the trick, and not by scratching yourself uh :)

2 comments:

kienz said...

The stitch can be quite bad sometimes, I only get it on the right side though, I wonder why

aehknum said...

Maybe try warming up pacing really slowly before you get started lor. Usually its caused by the fast pace and our body (and our breathing mechanism) cannot take it straight away.

Anyway, I also get it on the right side only. I believe many people also. They mentioned it has something got to do between our diaphragm bergeser-ing with our liver. I don't know how true is that la. Maybe its a new discovery that you may wanna go research it out? :P