Monday, January 26, 2009

How Ironic!



I'm a Christian but I'm still a Chinese.


So people, I still do celebrate Chinese New Year. I realise that alot of people tend to think that once you become a Christian, you no longer celebrate festivals that has got to do with Chinese. Aiyo, being a Christian doesnt make myself a westerner la. So, I'm still a Chinese, a 100% Chinese! Chinese is my race, and Christianity is my religion (not exactly a religion but I don't want to confuse you further in this now). Yeah, so celebrating Chinese New Year has got nothing to do with being a Christian (or the religion as a whole). It's a cultural thingy. Chinese New Year has got nothing to do with Buddhism as well, its just a Chinese thing you know. Its the race, the culture. We don't celebrate Wesak Day or All Souls Day etc because these beliefs embraces the Buddhism (like Wesak Day is Buddha's birthday?) so yeah. So basically a Chinese Christian like myself (and many other people) celebrate Chinese New Year, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas.


I just came out from the shower with my hair washed, oh yes today's the first day of cny.

According to the olden Chinese beliefs, all my good luck should have been washed off and nothing left for the remaining of this year. Ahh really? I must be really unlucky for years already since I wash my hair everyday! Looking back, I don't think so! That's because my life is not an accident, and things don't come by luck. I don't believe in luck. I believe Jesus' grace is always sufficient for me and He's my provider in everything. He watches my steps everyday, and guide me as I surrender my life to Him. I know everything will be good because He only knows how to give good things to us. So yeah, just in case you ter-wash your hair today, fret not! Your so-called 'luck' this year should not be deterned by that accidental act of washing your hair but believe that Jesus is a God of abundance who will never shortchange you :)

Happy Chinese New Year people!



9 comments:

guchi guchi said...

happy chinese new year :)

iVan Chong said...

yaya, a lot of ppl oways think 'har Christians celebrate CNY meh???'

aehknum said...

guchi--- heyy happy cny to you too man! I bet you celebrate it as well eh. Being in Kuching, you're already a half Chinese yourself :) All good?

ivan -- yeah weyy, alot of people take it this way. That's why I just wanna give it a point so that they'd know this :) happy cny to you!! are you celebrating this there with your host family?

kienz said...

Goung See Fat Choy

aehknum said...

hahah gong hei fatt choy to you too!! fatt kou jiong dai also okay!

Orcagal said...

amen to that! God is good, a gracious God! =D

aehknum said...

Haha He is, indeed!

babysue said...

Yeah, ppl's always think that u either celebrate Xmas or CNY without realising that CNY is a Chinese thing and all Chinese celebrate CNY, with or without the prayers part.

Worse is some stupid ppl ask 'Are u Chinese or Christian?' or something like that. Stupid stupid question. Which I answer, "Do I look like an Indian??"

In mang chang mood now actually =)

aehknum said...

heh yeah! I also get alot of that and that's why I'm sharing it here just to clear the misconception :)

btw happy cny!