Monday, June 30, 2008

Island Hopping.



"All we have is time and what we don't have is money" (The Gang, 2007)


I vividly remember this understatement that The Gang made during our trip to Phuket last year. The companion was great, the time spent was great but definitely not the long bumpy journey. Not a good idea for someone with slight motion sickness (for long journeys) like me.


Photobucket

Thank God for MAS -- who finally offers low fares (like Air Asia but better services). Looks like its quite a tight competition between them, nevertheless we're the one benefiting from it.


Photobucket


To be truthful, this is my first time flying with MAS. It has always been Air Asia before this. What to do, what I need is to get to another place and what I don't quite have is $.


Photobucket


The Gang managed to book the zero fare ticket. Meaning, we just pay the airport tax. RM 152 for to and fro, how blessed! This definitely spared us the agony of taking the 8-10 hours bus/train ride up north.

The 40 minutes flight was as good as 10 minutes ride with the companion of a good book (special thanks to xuewen) and flight snacks. I felt as if my seat was not even warmed when the touch-down announcement was given. How fast!


This time, The Gang (6 of us) along with 5 other guys went for island hopping at three beautiful islands at Malaysia East Coast --- namely the Perhentian Island, Redang Island and Lang Tengah Island. They're all very beautiful.

We took the morning flight from KLIA to Kota Bahru (Kelantan) and from there, we were transferred from the Kota Bahru airport to Kuala Besut jetty (Terengganu) and this journey takes around an hour. From the jetty, we took another 30 minutes speedboat ride before we reach Perhentian Island.


Photobucket


Taken from speedboat while tried balancing ourselves -- the calm blue sea as we were nearing the Island


Photobucket




Photobucket


The crystal clear water at the beach where we landed, with the reflection from the oh-so-glorious sun


Photobucket


Perhentian Island


Photobucket


Photobucket


This is the chalet that Yikwooi, Yikwooi's friend and myself lodged in.



Photobucket


This is the view from our chalet. Everytime when I open my eyes, this is what I see. . How majestic and calm


Photobucket



This picture was taken behind my polarized Ray-Ban shades. The vivid colour separation of the sea water and sky -- actually made me go oo and aa-ed at their colour combination


Photobucket
Another shot of it, beautiful isn't it?


Photobucket
The girls.



Photobucket
Jean Nee & washing machine girl May Jean



Photobucket
Yik Wooi & Ah Sian


Photobucket
Group shot.


Photobucket
Sea cucumber. Heaps of them at the seabed!



Photobucket
Tammy with the pillow starfish.


That's the shark's pillow. Okay, just kidding. Like the name suggests, it is a type of starfish that resembles a pillow, a very hard and heavy pillow.



Photobucket
Another group shot.


Tan, the tour guide brought us to four different points to snorkel -- namely the Coral point, Nemo point, Green Turtle point and the shark point. These points were named according to what they're rich in. For example, we saw alot of Nemo (clownfishes) in anemones at the Nemo point.


Photobucket
The guys gaying. L-R: Soon, Hon, Adrian and Asou Jun



Photobucket
Yikwooi & her friend



Photobucket
Ah Sian, Mayjean, Yik Wooi & Tan (behind)

We came back around 5 something on the first day and had our late brunch cum dinner then. The lifestyle there is a little laid back kind, slower pace. Its a good getaway from the city hustle lifestyle.


Photobucket


It's just wonderful to just enjoy the breeze, reading your favourite story book with a cup of coffee maybe? (chocolate milk for my case) while relaxing.


Photobucket


Or you know, just plug in your Ipod and relax!

Everyone was so tired that they wanted to go to bed at 8pm. It's so weird to sleep in at 8pm! Gosh! Then Tan came over to wake everyone up for dinner. We walked to the bistro.

There were no streetlights there, we were practically walking in the dark and our paths were directed using the dim light of our mobile phones. The stars greeted us glamorously from the sky. It's so amazing (at least it amazed me) on how God created them and placed each one of them at their place and named each and everyone of them by name -- so many of them, almost like a galaxy! (And babe, great message interpretation skills you have there huh, cough.)


Redang Island

Early next morning after our breakfast, we took the speedboat to Redang Island. About 45 minutes ride from Perhentian. It's definitely another beautiful island!


Photobucket
The beach.


Photobucket



Photobucket


White fine micro sands and the different water tone colours -- very well balanced.


Photobucket
Sunburnt yikwooi. Ouch, I feel for her.


Photobucket



Photobucket

A very familiar place, the more more tea inn.


Photobucket


It is the place where the movie (Summer Holiday -- led by Sammy Cheng and Richie Ren) was shot back in 2000.


Photobucket
Asou & Tammy



Photobucket
The Gang.



Photobucket



Photobucket


A random shot. I suddenly realise that my hair's quite long edi ehh (they grew!!), agree?? =D


Photobucket
Compulsory poser shot. (Similar shot in Phuket)


And oh, how interesting that the Majlis Perbandaran in Redang uses a motorboat as a garbage 'truck'


Photobucket



And a diving school insisted that their student should bring in no sands, no slippers and they should COME NAKED! =O

They sound desperate, don't they?


Photobucket


We then collected our snorkeling gears from the boat and swam towards another place to snorkel. Tan showed us different kind of living creatures in the sea, and that includes the black-fin shark. We swam near them.

According to Tan, out of the 2000 different species of sharks, only less than 5 species actually attack human. That also only when they need to protect themselves. Menstruating ladies, your blood will not attract the sharks because they're all poikilotherm (cold-blooded) while we're all homeothermic (warm-blooded). So, its altogether a different diet. In other words, they find human yucky and doesn't taste good. They only eat stuffs smaller than them, eg smaller fishes.


When it was time to get back to the boat to adjourn to another place for lunch, I swam (like how I normally swim with my head sticking out from the water) and no longer snorkel, my right arm got stung by the stupid jelly fish!


The sting was so painful and when I looked underwater (with my mask on), I saw a jelly fish there swimming away. Dang! It was very painful and to be truthful, I kinda lost of my mood that time on and didn't wanna snorkel anymore. I just held on to my arm, pressing on it (while dipping it in the cooling water) hoping to lessen the pain a little but to no avail, it isn't working.


By the time I got on the boat, I notice my upper arm was all swolen already. Applied some oilment given by Tan. I heard its fatal, thank God its not that poisonous. One of the cure is to pee on it. Ahh, I'll rather let it heal on its own.


Photobucket


Notice the raised welts? My body responded (by showing allergy reaction) to the venom injected by the tentacles of the stupid jelly fish. It's quite a disgusting sight but the pain was intense and somewhat slightly beyond what I can tolerate. Blame it on my low pain-tolerance.



Photobucket
A supposingly clearer shot of the raised welts.

Not obvious? Now compare with this (to get a picture of it):


Photobucket


When compared to the original shot, its undeniably disgusting looking right? The pain lasted for almost a day plus, close to two. Now I'm left only with scars and slight pain when the I brush my hand across the surface of the skin there la. Like how Joy aptly put it, that's one to strike off the things-to-do-before-I-die-list. I agree! LOL.

---

Lang Tengah Island


This island is approximately 15 minutes away from Redang Island. Lang means 'Eagle' and Tengah means 'Middle'. Hence, this name suggests that there were once alot of eagles there and this island is located in the middle between the Perhentian Island and Redang Island.


Photobucket


In this place, same thing -- we snorkeled. Somehow, the corals seemed to be more beautiful here. Maybe because its not as popular as the other two islands hence the ecosystem here is not that disturbed.


Photobucket
Yik Wooi & May Jean



Photobucket
Tammy & Sian



Photobucket
Soon & Yik Wooi




Photobucket
May Jean & Rain Hon


Photobucket
Asou & Tammy.


Photobucket
Adrian.



Photobucket
Clam from seabed.


Photobucket
Sea cucumber (again!)


Photobucket
Clam, May Jean & Tammy.


In this island, I finally gave a try to swim without the life jacket. Its quite bothering with the lifejacket as I cannot move as freely as I want.


Photobucket
Tammy.

According to Soon, we can swim and stay afloat with or without the lifejacket but to stay afloat at one position in the water to clear our blurred mask would be a problem unless we can swim and 'kick water' since its really deep.


Photobucket
Soon.

Suffice to say, I made it! =) I mastered the skill of 'water kicking' straight away and stayed afloat in the water as I want. Without the life jacket that restricts us to make sure that we're afloat, we're all happy divers and touch the sea corals. It was indeed a wonderful experience!


----

Back at Perhentian in the evening, all exhausted.


Photobucket

Typical sand burying with huge erection.


Photobucket
The orgasm picture of Hon (can beat yours, Jo Kien!)


Photobucket
Buddies.



----

Got up early for breakfast on the last day. Went kayak-ing!


Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


Checked out and left back for KL at 12pm. Touched down at KLIA around 5 something. Stayed back to send Ming Hui, Jing Tien and Shing Ying off for Melbourne at 930pm.


Photobucket
Jing Tien.

It was one of the longest and sincerest hug I ever got, I was glad that I didn't follow your advice to go home and stayed to see you off.

Got a ride from Ming Hui's dad to KL sentral (still very paiseh) and then train back to Klang. Reached home around 11 something.

---

The sun shone so gloriously that my skin got burnt from it. There are two distinct tone colours between my skin on my back, following the alignment of my singlet. We all resort in sleeping with our back faced up for several days. And did I mention bathing with warm water is a torture? Especially when the warm water touches the sunburnt.

Now, they're better. Turning into a snake soon, a skin changing snake. Haha! It was a great trip nonetheless! =)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg that looks so fun........ hehe and ugh icky jellyfish.. hehe

aehknum said...

Yeap yeapp!! It was fun and meant for young people la. Cannot imagine mom and dad doing that. LOL. You should go too!!

And yes, the stupid jellyfish! =(
(I'm still sore from it!)

Orcagal said...

wow...! looks so fun la..ish ish...haha :P

aehknum said...

Haha yeap, its fun! The activities are.. but somehow I have some (unwanted) indescribable feeling there.. not so belonged.

I actually felt more belonged in the airport when I sent my friend off. Heavy heartedly -- had to see them off =(

kienz said...

I think I had a jellyfish larva or something sting my left arm, bout the same as yours, on a MUCH smaller scale :p hahaha, lucky you!

And it was a pain to see so many idiots standing/playing/tickling the corals and wild life down there -_- geramnya

aehknum said...

jellyfish larva?? WOW! I didnt know those small nuisance stings as well ehh? How's yours now? Still painful? Mine is left with scars only. U G L Y !

Eh, are they actually allowed to touch the corals? Ours, they didn't allow us to. They need 20 years just to grow 1 metre diameter amount of corals right? But we did play a little with the 'christmas tree' corals la, when we dived in there. We didnt press or kill them, just point or pass our hands over it (without touching), they'll hide in. What are these corals called ah?

kienz said...

Those are worms, not corals =_= Christmas tree worms,I thought you'd remember from the BIO1011 Campbell & Reece pictures XD hehe, maybe we have a different edition of the book.

No they aren't allowed to, but it's kinda hard to watch the whole buncha people, so some people inevitably screw up without supervision, ah well. My bite was as good as gone in the first day =D hehe, get well soon, stung-hand-of-MK

aehknum said...

Ahhh seriously? Coz when that guy brought us to the Corals' Point (thats why I thought they are corals la), he told us alot about Christmas tree. So, I thought they are Christmas tree corals la. =( How'd I know if they are actually worms =( I don't quite get it, are they really called Christmas trees?? Why?? LOL. And I cannot remember anything from Campbell and Reece la. We used the 6th edition btw, but I doubt there's much differences la =P


My arm's okay already, only left with some scars. I believe they'll go away in maybe a month? It's already 1 week now. 3 weeks to go! =)