Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Do You Know How To Say NO?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Countless time in church, I always hear Ryan (Unc Raymond’s son) use the word “no”. It’s actually a real good practice. As in, I remember disturbing Ryan like this:

Mun: Ryan, what are you holding in your hands?
Ryan: bis---cuits *smiles*
Mun: Can you give some to Cheryl?
Ryan: No!
Mun: Give her some la.. she wants.. after she cry how?
Ryan: No!
(Clarisse came by, saw some food)
Clarisse: Ryan, I want!
Ryan: No!
(Clarisse trying to grab from Ryan. Ryan turn away, holding his packet of bis----cuit)
Ryan: No!
Mun: Must share share ma..
Ryan: No!

If there’s such thing as computing the frequency of each words used, out of Ryan’s speech vocabulary bank, probably the word “no” is his most frequent word used! This is typical of a child. As innocent as they are, they have the sinful nature in them for being selfish, not because they learnt to be bad and wanna sin, but the sin is already borned in the blood! This is the sin that was passed down from Abraham to his decendents.

When Abraham first sinned, we, being his decendents are also called sinners because we’re all borned of his blood. In Romans 5:12, it says, “Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned..” and continue in Romans 5:19, “For just as through disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of one man the many wll be made righteous.” But because Jesus died for us, we are all made righteous. Not by our good works, but by grace, the undeserved favour in our lives, a salvation that we cannot boast about.


However, sometimes we need a little bit of Ryan in our lives. I’m not trying to say we all should be selfish but we should learn how to say “NO”. I wonder how many of your moms taught you how to say “no” to strangers? My mom does! She always reminds me that when I was little. When we don’t know how to say “no”, many consequences will come along.

That day Fang Yi was just telling me that he doesnt know how to say "no" to people.. I know that are more people outside facing the same situation, maybe even you who are reading this now.. agree? *head nodding* As long as I know Jolyn, whenever you try to ask favour from her, she will say “ok.. anything la.. I don’t mind one”. Are all these the too-kind-hearted-ppl? Well this species is going to extinction soon and thus, I guess we need to start preserving them. LOL.

Anyway, in many cases that I know of, its actually NOT easy to say no. Myself is a case on its own! I always have the same problem of not knowing how to say “no” to people. Whenever someone asked me to do something, I will automatically say “okay!” eventhough I’m busy. Probably just need to sacrifice some sleep, time and energy.. that one only what.. saying “no” is more difficult!

Whenever one needs my transport, even if its quite out of the way or taking up an extra hour of rest at home, I’ll still usually say “okay” unless am really in a rush or doing something urgently. I wont say “no”
Or one that needs help with studies or computing work or just anything, its really hard to say “no” actually. But folks, don't get me wrong here. I really LOVE and ENJOY doing all these favours. I don’t mind. I LOVE doing them!! I find that its an HONOUR for me!! =) Really one! No jia jia!! =P Only that, sometimes mom makes lots of noises. So, still learning and trying to practice ONLY IF I really need.. but.. sighs..

Yesterday night grandma called me, she said she was charged so much extra for her water bill when the meter reading printed in the water bill doesn’t even correlates with the water meter reading in her house. She needs my favour to make a complain to the officer this morning since both grandpa and grandma couldn’t speak fluently to them. The officers wouldn’t believe them, they said. Mom knows that am tired and grandparents love to run errands maybe at 8am?? which means I gotta wake up extra early again though am off for that day. But whenever grandma calls, the impulse of the favour asked does not even need to travel through the afferent nerves then to spinal cord only to my cerebrum before the impulse travels back through the efferent nerves to my mouth to say "okay" or "sorry, i can't".. its so much like a spontaneous reaction when the impulse of the favour asked travels straight to the efferent nerves and to mouth saying "okay!" Its an auto-response-thingy especially to grandma, don't ask me why! So, I took a picture of the water meter and showed it to the officer as a prove, and explained to him bout the error. In the end, the officer decided to waive grandparents’ bill and they NEED NOT PAY even a cent since they were over-charged. God’s favour! *thumbs up!!*

After that, we went to get some things around Teluk Pulai area and then back to grandparents’ house. Lazed there till mom picks me from their place at 1pm after picking Mun Sheung from school. Grandma was too happy because the bill was waived thanks to my help and thus, she said grandpa gotta belanja me, lunch at least! She bought some bak kut teh back for lunch but I didn’t want to eat there since I promised mom to be back home for lunch. I know if I don’t, I’ll be in trouble. But grandma insisted till I can’t say no also. She called mom, mom made noise in the phone.

Here's the conversation:

Grandma: Hello, Angie (my mom) ah.. Just to let you know, Mun is having her lunch in my place. Bring Sheung along and have her lunch too here k, I bought bah kut teh.

Mom: No no, Mun can't have her lunch there. She promised me to be back for lunch.

Grandma: We’re eating lunch soon already, I insist and she’s gonna be here.

Mom: NO, I don’t care. Mun is coming back for lunch!

Grandma: I also don’t care. Mun is at my place now and I can do what I want. She’s having her lunch here! *hang up the phone*

P/s: the whole conversation was in cantonese, translated to english

So, the consequences of not knowing how to say no (I DID say no actually, but grandma’s insist was stronger =/ ), I took my lunch TWICE!! *swt* Sighs. Couldn’t even move ah! Ate abit of both meals.. too much for the day!!

So folks, learn your little "no" word today for certain situations so that you won't fall into "unforeseen circumstances". Something to say? Leave a comment!! Be blessed!
Till then, signing OFF