Friday, July 25, 2008

Humility.



To me, the most important essence to be a good musician is not the talent, but the humility, the teachable spirit and availability.

Talent is a gift --- a gift is something that is given for free and you don't work for it. But this talent will not amount to anything if its used for glorifying one-self like, "Aiya, don't need practise la. I'm already so good with my guitar playing" or "I'm better than him" kinda attitude? I actually beh tahan this kind one lor, but nevertheless..


I like how this article puts it. Its like, so true! It speaks about the danger of pride. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these to condemn anyone here.

The truth is we were all sinners and we're borned with sinful nature. Hence, pride would come in but thank God for Jesus. God loves sinners (us) but he hates sin. With Jesus' perfect and complete work on the cross, we're all redeemed. We're sinless, so to speak. We're made righteous by His shed blood, not by our own works but by His saving grace.


The major problem is that most of us didn't notice the pride in us. It takes another to see it, and usually people will not tell us right? Like, who will tell? Unless if you're really close to that person la.


Following is an excerpt from the mentioned article.

In fact, the pride itself will cause the person to be brought down. Many times, God does not need to humble a person, because through pride, the person will place themselves in a position where they will fall. When we are full of pride, we think we are better than others are, incapable of being wrong, even incapable of sin. That is the first step in the trap Satan has constructed for the proud.

"A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit"

Prov:29:23

A proud person is like a blind man; although there may be a great hole in the road before him, he can't see it. Too often, it isn't until that person falls into the hole that they realize there is anything wrong.

Pride also brings about contention and causes people to put others down. I don't know how many times I have heard a believer, or even a minister, put down another for doing something they have done themselves.




Sounds familiar? Believe me or not, I've seen alot of them.


One of the great blessings of being truly humble is that a humble heart is one that God can work with. God can not only do things in the life of that person, but through them as well. A truly humble heart is always open to God and to His Word.

Many believers who are living in pride don't realize the blessings that they are losing. They think they are doing fine, serving the Lord, and accomplishing His will. However, they are blind to their own problems and to what God wants to do in their heart.

"And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted"
Matthew 23:12; Luke 14:11; 18:14


"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up"
James 4:10


"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time"
1 Peter 5:6

Excellent way of putting them. Its a good read and you should read it for more examples. It's not like suddenly I realise that I have too much pride in me or whatsoever (I won't know, you see, unless I fall, haha!) but it just dawned on me that I need to pick this vocab up -- humility.


"Lord, now I come before You with a humble heart. I pray that You'll continue to teach and mould me into the person You want me to be. Lord, teach me how to be humble. I pray that not my will but Yours be done and Your Name will be lifted and glorified. Continue to use me as Your humble vessel in this school so that Your amazing love can reach them. In Jesus' mighty name, amen."



---

Another amazing moment with Dr Emily just now. I'm obsessed, how la? (And Amelia actually finds it gross. Ishh!)


0 comments: