Friday, March 28, 2008

Is Singh a surname?



So as I was trying to complete my GEN3030 assignment, I got stuck at one part.

The citation and reference part for our fellow Punjabi scientists.

(please click to enlarge the picture)

So in this case, I should cite them as (Kango-Singh et al., 2002)?

and what if the first author of other journal is Amit Singh. So, cite him as (Singh et al., 2002)?

You know, like my dad's customers will greet him as Mr Chee. So, they're Mr Singh? I mean, seriously?

I know it sounds dumb but hey, I don't know how to cite okay, especially when it comes to this kind of situation (Asians especially).

Can't everyone just be John Smith? Simple and easy. Hahaha.


7 comments:

- k o R i - said...

let me guess.. gen3030?

aehknum said...

guess? LOL. Yeah GEN3030. I've said in the first line of my entry edi lerr.. but, yeah. Sigh. How's your progress?? Your journals also got Singh?? =)

pat said...

erm what I can say is. Even kuai low got problem with asian names. Like Patrick Ho Weng Seng. They will have problem citing.

aehknum said...

Haha! That's what I'm trying to say. Citing asians memang susah.

Chinese - Patrick Ho Weng Seng = (Ho, 2008)

Malay - Ali Bin Abu = (Abu, 2008)? That sounds more like a name than a surname.. as if got error. But it IS his surname

Indian - Semivalue a/l muthusamy = (Muthusamy, 2008)? <-- again like given name.

And since all punjabi males will be singh and females be kaurs.. and if they're Mr Singh and Ms Kaur respectively..

Then what's the differences with Malay's Bin and Binti while Indian's a/l and a/p?

Asians are both themselves confused and confusing others la. Hhaha.. gambate, gwai loh!

yinkheay said...

I think the last name for these authors should be Kango-Singh and Singh respectively.

jphuaa said...

My good friend's surname is Singh. There's nothing with a citation like that I gather.

aehknum said...

Heay and Joy, yeah! Handed in my assignment already. Thanks anyway! It's quite a cool surname =)