Thursday, March 29, 2007

To walk or to run?

Let's say one day, you're walking happily and all in a suddened, it started raining! What will you do so that you don't get wet?

Answer:
(A) Continue walking in the rain towards a shed
(B) Run quickly to the shed

Well, if you chose (B), you're on the majority side and that's an abrupt act. However, with experiments done and proven, in order to get less wet, we should choose (A) that is to CONTINUE WALKING rather than running!

Err.. Mun Khea, you having fever? If we walk, wont we ended up drenched in the rain? Yes, you're partly right but if you run, you'll be MORE drenched.

Hypothesis: If you move faster, you'll have more chances of brushing with the rain and thus, more wet.

Notice how the rain water contact with our body? Very hard to draw okay!! I tried my best dy!

Experiment:

Today after lecture, I drove over to May Jean's house to complete my assignment while waiting for the following lecture. It was raining so I put my car's wiper to "level 2" (moves faster than level 1, common sense) while I drove. And I thought of this theory. Then I stopped my car (not moving), less rain fell on my windscreen and I only need to use wiper at "level 1". Right after that, I drove again and the rain got heavier back. So, I drove and stopped repeatedly and the results were still consistent. So, hypothesis proven right!

Reasons behind? If you think logically, if you walk slowly, less collision or rather contact between your body with the rain water molecules and vice versa. And c'mon man, your clothes love absorbing water! They're of cotton nature (unless you wear plastics to go out). Therefore, the faster you walk --> more contact with rain water molecules occur --> more wet!

That's it. Easy theory huh? So, I bet now on, I'd see more people walking slowly under the rain? And yes, MGS ppl just LOVE walking under the rain. Seconded by Mun Wah, Shee Wuen and other fellow MGSians I mean, ex-MGSians. Hope you've learnt something and are blessed.

Err.. before I go, here's the friendship test thingy. I don't know why suddenly it's an "IN" thing now, since I had to do Yee Wen's, so I decided to create one so that I can see how much she knows bout me. She got 100% eh! IT SHOCKS ME, YEE WEN!! Anyway, am glad. Think its too easy, coz everyone is scoring too well. Good also la, I miss getting 100% now. No more 100% in uni level. Shesshh~

The link:
http://www.truefriendtest.com/friendtest/174083

Leaderboard
Create your own Friend Test here


Till then, signing OFF.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually i also 90 wan! careless mistake! unfair wei. hahah

aehknum said...

haha!! Musnt follow your eyes too much, it was a trick. Must follow your heart and mind. haha. Nevermind, 80 = A1 dy! Just that the rest AA1 and AAA1. LOL, just kidding!!

Anne said...

Wah mun k came out with a hypothesis we nvr thought before foooohh..next time,everyone walk when raining k? And if ppl look at us,we wave back ^^

nilimpa said...

Actually I saw a similar experiment on a TV show called MythBusters that agrees with your hypothesis. But I do not agree with the experimental method they used in the show, so I'm not entirely convinced.

*switches to nerd mode*

(LOOONG commentary from engineering student, skip it if not interested):

The results of the experiment were quite misleading, in two ways:

Firstly, although the rate at which you get wet is higher when you run, that is only one part of the story. You also have to consider that you are being exposed to the rain for a smaller period of time. Yes, a person who runs for 10 seconds will be wetter than a person who walks for 10 seconds, but running brings you to shelter quicker compared to walking, so the -total- amount of water that hits you could very well be less when you run. Of course, that depends on how fast you run and walk.

Secondly, it implies that avoiding wetness is the only reason people run in the rain. Another reason people run in the rain because they do not want to be subject to rain and winds for a longer period of time. To draw an analogy, I think anyone (with a sane mind) would prefer to stay in a bathtub full of ice cubes for 10 seconds than put their feet in a bucketful of ice cubes for 10 minutes. An exaggeration, but you get the point.

*switches off nerd mode*

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. =.=

Grace said...

thanks for the info..next time when it rains and when there's no umbrella, i'll walk...=)

aehknum said...

Li Anne: haha! yea, WE should! LOL. Plus, walking under the rain is fun!! Hehe

Yoong Kang: Yea, I watched that part also, the MythBusters thingy on Discovery Channel. Had this idea from there, but found it rather amazing when I drove under the rain that day. Experienced it myself that's why. Hehe. You should try!!! =)

Btw, I WANT MY BASKIN!!! =)


Gracie: yea! haha, its a good thing eh? Hope you're blessed.

Ruth said...

Hi Mun K, just read your post! In Seattle, it rains almost everyday. So instead of running to a shed, or using an umbrella (it gets blown upwards by the wind, no point in using it!)--everyone just walks in the rain. I do think your hypothesis is accurate as I don't really get very wet. ;-) Hehe. It's interesting to read about it...got me thinking. Thanks! God bless! = )

aehknum said...

Really??? Haha! That's interesting, Ruth!! Whoah!! At last someone experiences this!

Yea, it has been raining these days in Malaysia too, or rather my area. Before or after uni, so, yea.. I did that "experiment" when I drive home