Friday, February 16, 2007

Sick and Die?


This evening, I was watching a Japanese series entitled One Litre Of Tears. Like the title suggests, it's quite a sad story I would say. Unlike those predictable korean touchy-lovey-dovey story when the two main actor and actresses hates each another, and then one day for some reason they fell in love with one another but one of them was diagnosed with cancer and so on. So predictable rite?

I'm only at episode 5 now, but its a true story about a girl with Spinocerebellar Autrophy, it's a type of disease that causes the peripheral nerves to not function properly. Slowly, she won't be able to talk, won't be able to walk straight and won't be able to hold heavy objects. She was only 15 years when diagnosed with this disorder and so far, there's no proper medication and treatment for this disease, it's incurable for the moment though researches are still in progress. My heart goes for her.

Last week was my last week in Sunway Medical Hospital. I wanted to learn more, beyond the lab. So, my friends and I made appointment with the head of the dialysis centre in the hospital so that we could visit and learn something from there. Those patients I saw there are without both kidneys, mostly advanced in age and therefore their kidney slowly degenerating. I spoke to some, and tried encouraging them showing that they are not useless, and we still love them as society. There's one girl there that caught my attention. I was told by the people there that she's only 20 years old. She started her dialysis about 7 months ago. She still hasn't fully accepted the fact that both her kidneys are not functioning. She has to be on dialysis, utilising the machine to wash off her toxics in her blood 3 times a week, each session takes 4 hours! It's really tiring. Her mom told me that she has stopped schooling. She didn't want to answer us as we tried talking to her. We understood. At that time, I really don't know what I should I say. When I put myself in her shoes, I dare not think what will happen to my life. My 2 other intern-friends who went with me said that they rather die than doing dialysis like this for life. At that time, I really felt for that patient

Simultaneously, I felt so blessed that I'm well and healthy. I felt bad when I took my health for granted. Not to mention not drinking enough of H2O everyday, what more exercising AT LEAST 20 mins per session, 3 times a week as advertised by the Kementerian Kesihatan? *cough cough* (btw, attempting to take up badminton and maybe tennis also, once uni resumes). Illnesses and diseases, they don't recognise ages, they'll just come and visit you if you allow them to. None of us are too young to die. Therefore, I felt the need to make full use of each and everyday with peace, love and joy. I want to bless others while I can, I want to love you all as much as I can, I want to encourage you while I can.. before I can't do any of these, before I regret. It's too late if I never dared to hug my good friends and family while I can now rather than when I'm on my bed, couldn't move and wanting to hug them.

Beloved, what are you waiting for? Make the "bestest" out of the best of each and everyday. Smile, laugh, hug and love people around you while you can. Things around you will be more colourful than you can ever think of.

Be encouraged, be blessed and feel loved. Till then, signing OFF

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

juz parking here...

Anonymous said...

so true..we'll nvr know when we'll 'leave' for good..uve got a great job..looks like u learnt alot from it =)

aehknum said...

andrew: hi andrew! thanks for parking here. ticket? just kidding

anne: yea, i've learnt alot and I'm thankful for all the revelations. They open my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Everyone seems to be watching that show. Nice ar?

aehknum said...

eevon: everyone??? i din know.. just that I'm bored and this is my only series left. No show dy.. but nice.. meaningful.